Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I'm Falling and I Can't Get Up

Three months and 17 days. That's how long I've been unemployed. I've learned that that's not long in this economy and that many of the people I've met in that time have been looking for work for over a year.

Those people are good at it. They've been pitching themselves as best they can for at least half that time. They've got their resumes just right. They have a clear definition of what they're looking for and where they hope to be in a year. Many of them have their "elevator speech" down pat.

"Hi. My name's Jill Jobless and I'm a Life Coach. I can turn your world around and I can monetize your business and make your life a lot easier. Here's my card. I'd love a chance to sit down and share more of what I have to offer your company at your convenience."

Well, maybe it's something like that. I'm not sure. I don't have mine --- not even in my head, really.

It's only been a little over three months, but I feel sorely behind schedule in my search. What? No "elevator speech?"

I need to pump it up. Turn up the volume. Get a stinkin' job, as we used to shout out from Lake Shore Drive as we drove past Oak Street Beach in the summer.

But it's not just any job I'm after, although I'm not opposed to many. I have a mortgage to pay, so that's my first concern. And I want to be good at my next job. I was darn good at my last one, actually, and that's where I'm most comfortable.

I fear I'm not so darn good at job hunting. I've got a lot to learn ... but then I've seen this episode of my life as a learning experience all along. Learning to recreate the person I had allowed myself to accept as me. But is that really me? I have to stop and wonder ... and examine and re-examine ... and focus ... focus ... focus.

And so what color is my parachute or, more to the point, am I wearing one?

No comments:

Post a Comment