Monday, November 23, 2009

The Non-Interview

There's a falling theme to this blog so far. Is it inspired by the parachute -- invisible or not? Is it the ginko leaf -- my new favorite fallen leaf? Is it just that it's autumn and I'm in that season of transition and change and going within to await the new?

I'm not sure. It's just a recurrence of the fall, falling, fell. Fall, winter, spring, summer. Felt. Fault. Failed. Enough with the f-words, already.

I went downtown for a job interview today. It's a part-time job and I got the interview mostly because my sister is part of the organization I've applied with. That's okay. Whatever it takes to get an interview, then I'm responsible for the rest. Well, the rest wasn't ideal today. Before we had much discussion about my qualifications at all, my interviewer said that she didn't really know what the job would require exactly. She asked that I talk with the woman who held it previously and see if I think it's something I know.

After spending the last 48 hours working up to a job interview -- "Tell me about yourself," and "What makes you the person for this job?" -- I didn't really get interviewed. The executive director told me what she's aiming for in a web site, and said she's not sure what would be required of me if I were to take the position of Project Manager.

OK. I'll find out what's required by talking with the woman who did the job most recently --- until she took a full-time job elsewhere. And I'll examine whether I'm a good match for the job -- then maybe I'll get to interview and tell the hiring manager why I would be the perfect person for the spot. Or am I? It's all so unknown.

I'm looking for work, so I've created this persona that thinks I can do whatever I get hired to do -- within reason. I haven't applied for any neurosurgeon jobs or anything like that. And, on certain levels, I believe that's true. At the same time, I don't want to get in over my head.

In all, it's the very process of trying to find a good match that's most interesting, I guess. A friend said that interviewing for a job is like a date -- either there's a match or there's not.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment